Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Recipe: Healthy Toddler Muesli Bars

OK - to be honest I'm not sure anything with this much butter is really truly healthy, but compare the ingredients list with commercial kiddy muesli bars and this one definately wins out.

I tried a bunch of different recipes and then cobbled this one together. You can chop and change within the dried ingredients - let me know if you try it what you think!

125gms butter
½ cup honey
2 cups rolled oats (or a mix of similar grains)
1 cup rice bubbles (lightens it up for little tummies)
¼ cup LSA powder
¼ cup dried chopped fruit

In a large saucepan melt the butter and honey. Then take off the heat, add the dry ingredients. Press well (use your fingers) into a 20 x 30 slice tin that has been lined with baking paper. I line it so that the baking paper comes up over the sides so that I can get it out of the tin without it breaking up.

Then bake at about 160 degrees celcius for 40 minutes or so. Leave to cool completely before cutting it.

4 comments:

dawn klinge said...

This looks good. May I ask what LSA powder is?

sarah said...

We made muesli bars too this week, although we used a different recipe and, ahem, ours were definitely not so healthy since we topped them with chocolate icing! But we HAD to, the recipe said so ;-)

Gypsy said...

LSA powder is linseed, sunflower and almonds, all ground up into powder. Its really really nutritious and yummy - but you can just use coconut. Patience - I bet these would be even nicer with chocolate icing :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, toddlers need lots of fats for proper nervous system development! I think in the US we call them rice krispies (puffed rice, right?) and I'm not sure I've ever seen LSA powder here. Ground almonds would probably be good.